Saturday, May 12, 2012

Local Lapwings

spare time has been at a premium recently, but I had a spare hour and went to a new site for me, a newish fishing pit dug out of the local farmland just south of Bishop's Stortford. I came away with Little Ringed Plover, a few Yellow Wagtails, and a few pairs of Lapwings and a small flock of Linnets. On the water were Tufted Ducks, Canada Geese, and Mallards. In the water were some enormous Carp thrashing around at the shallow end - well it is a fishing pit. The sunshine tempted out Peacock butterly and an Orange Tip. Just by the edge was an egg and some bloodied feathers. I think both are from Lapwing. There's some shots below.
Update: the egg is Red-Legged Partridge and the feathers Wood Pigeon. Thanks for the update Mike!

No comments:

Great Grey Shrike

Nine years ago when I gave up working I went to see a Great Grey Shrike at Grimes Graves. It was easy to find, showed well, all round very ...