Sunday, January 21, 2007

Fleet Fossils I

We spent some time rooting round the pebbles in Pirate’s cove (bottom of Camp Road) before we twigged that quite a few of them were fossil shells. The key bit was finding the indent on the side which is the hinge of the bivalve. Once spotted, all the other features fell into place. Even the markings of prehistoric worms on the shell seemed to be there. I think its Pleuroma uniformis which my book tells me is found in the exposed band of Osmington Oolite here. But I could well be wrong.

Here’s a picture, taken by D#1, cunningly avoiding showing the key hinge area.

No comments:

Lindisfarne and Musselburgh

Lindisfarne : Circumstance gave me a couple of days based in Edinburgh. Lindisfarne was just an hour and a half away. As a teenager I had a ...