Thursday, May 30, 2024

Bird's Nesting in the North Downs.

Ever since I got keen on orchids one species in particular has provoked particular interest; Bird's Nest Orchid. It's not particularly photogenic, but it is a particularly interesting one by virtue of it being saprophytic, hence having no leaves or chlorophyll. 

I've tried a few places, but north of the Thames its a hard species to find. Typical is the ever-excellent Orchid-Hunter, who, even with directions, had a hard time finding just three specimens in Bedford Purlieus woods and was very pleased with them.

South of the Thames it's a different story. At one location in particular, thanks to the work done by the National Treasure that is Steve Gale in finding, counting, and publicising, they are so common they are basically a weed. That place is the Mickleham Downs near Dorking. It's a bit of a trek from here but I go further on a regular basis so why not? Hence Mrs D, myself and Derek the dog set off on a day out.

We pulled into the small car park at Cockshott Wood, and started to scale the steep bridleway from the east end of the car park. After a few yards there was a small clearing on my left; a quick scan and boom, twenty spikes. I scrambled over for the obligatory photos, very pleased. Mrs D was slightly bemused we had come all that way for a desiccated ghost of a plant, but I explained its parasitic lifestyle and she was suitably impressed. 

We didn't go any further. I had seen what we came for, and not having packed crampons, ropes, axes and helmets progressing further up the slope seemed foolhardy. 

After that we had a wander round Denbies Hillside (White Helleborine) and then Dorking for a coffee and panini. Mrs D was impressed, as was Derek, so we will no doubt be back.

I picked up a couple of other first-for year orchids in a traditional place; motorway verges. Common Spotted from a queue in Kent where you have to turn off the M25 to stay on the M25, and Pyramidal from the M25 onto the M11 in Essex. 

Not visible on this but this one was under a cloud of tiny insects. Not sure what their interest was.


Obviously I completely screwed this White Helleborine photo up. It was dark in the wood and I just tried a few things and then did a lot of editing. But I quite like it.

No comments:

Commonly Spotted Orchids

We are fortunate in the UK in that the commonest orchids are also amongst the most beautiful. I spent a morning photographing some on the lo...