Sunday, April 29, 2007

Hatfield Forest at 1.4x


Went for a walk this a.m. in the dull conditions before the sun broke through. Just myself, my sister, and the three eldest Dipper children. The forest is just approaching its prime, with the Horse Chestnuts in particular looking terrific.

Bird-wise, the forest was bursting with warblers. Six species all in good numbers, including at least 4 Lesser ‘throats. Otherwise a Cormorant, a pair of Common Terns (one ringed), a Gadwall, a Cuckoo, a few peckers, lots of Chaffinches and a couple of distant Fallow deer.

I took the 1.4x converter on the 100-400 lens. I used the standard configuration (manual focus) to see how accurate I could be focussing by eye. Overall conclusion is its okay with stationary birds, but I think for faster birds I’ll need to consider taping the pins.





No comments:

Great Grey Shrike

Nine years ago when I gave up working I went to see a Great Grey Shrike at Grimes Graves. It was easy to find, showed well, all round very ...