Monday, April 15, 2019

more local bees

around Pishiobury Park. Birds have been decent, with yesterday a Peregrine, a Sparrowhawk, and a Red Kite before I even entered the park. Today it was bees.


This is, straightforwardly, I think, a female Tawny Mining Bee.



This is, less straightforwardly, a male Tawny Mining bee.


Quite a lot of these on the ivy in the garden. Small - I think these are Chocolate Mining Bee .


Now. With considerably less conviction, I think this might be female Gwynne's Mining Bee. Except it lacks the furry legs that Steven Falk's photos have.

Finally I have started looking for local Elms, making a note so I can go along later and look for you-know-whats. There are a few clusters locally, one in a place I've been told previously where 'they' occur, and a couple of clusters in the park. Quite easy to see now with these slightly incongruous clumps of red-centred green lollipops on bare branches.



Very finally, because they are everywhere at the moment, some Wild cherry.

No comments:

Great Grey Shrike

Nine years ago when I gave up working I went to see a Great Grey Shrike at Grimes Graves. It was easy to find, showed well, all round very ...