Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Breaking the mid-August doldrums at Minsmere

Mid August can be a difficult time as migration begins in fits and starts. However a Semi-Palmated Sandpiper at Minsmere ticked the automatic "lifer within 100 miles" box so I was on my way, by myself this time as my usual birding companion was not available.

The bird was soon ticked, quelling pre-tick nerves, and I managed to get decent if somewhat distant views (see here for typical views). It showed the various features that my pre-trip reading had indicated were diagnostic - lack of v stripes, short-tailed projection, slightly heavy black bill etc but I fancy if I'd seen that by myself I might have ticked an adult Little Stint. And whilst it is nice to get a lifer, careful steady of this peep only confirmed that a juvenile Little Stint is a beautiful bird in its rich tan and pinkish hues in a way that a semi-p isn't. Roll on September and a few of those for the list!

Otherwise on the scrapes there were 60 Little Gulls - an amazing numbers, 6 Spotted Redshanks, 4 Ruff, 3 Green Sandpipers, 2 Greenshanks, a Little Tern and an early Wigeon.

Another lifer turned up in the form of a Wasp Spider. It was easy to find, having been told to go to the place with the trampled-down grass, and was very impressive - larger than I had imagined.

One of the pleasures of birding is meeting other birders. At the Sluice bushes I got chatting with a chap from the midlands when he noticed a flycatcher-like bird popping up from the bushes there. We gave it a while and eventually he picked up a Pied Flycatcher briefly in the depths of the foliage. It disappeared but returned later to chase off a different bird that suddenly appeared, so at least one and possibly two Pied flys. If I hadn't been chatting to him I would have been long gone I think before this turned up.

So there we have it. Nearly time for migration to really kick-in. Come on winds, please just swing round for us.

No comments:

Lindisfarne and Musselburgh

Lindisfarne : Circumstance gave me a couple of days based in Edinburgh. Lindisfarne was just an hour and a half away. As a teenager I had a ...