Tuesday, March 04, 2008

West Wood



I went back to West Wood with my Camera today (Canon 30D, 100-400mm + 1.4x converter, so manual focus). The wood is heavily managed by both man and deer, consequently there are strong tall trees and not much under growth. Its possible to get good views through the forest, and in principle should be good for photography

At first, there was nothing to be seen. Complete quiet apart form the wind and a few Blue Tits. Gradually, the residents of the wood appeared. A couple of GSWs started drumming, and one showed reasonably well. The Fallow Deer saw me and slowly moved off; there was about 10 in one group, one a fine stag with Antlers,and another group of 3. All the birds then appeared in one area. A flock of somewhere between 50 and 100 Chaffinches rooting around on the forest floor. A flock of Redwings singing to themselves up in the tops of the trees; a Goldcrest, a Nuthatch, and then amongst the chaffinches a Brambling (well I only saw one at a time on a few occasions, so at least one possibly a couple more). My first for the area, and it perched for the camera too!







No comments:

Great Grey Shrike

Nine years ago when I gave up working I went to see a Great Grey Shrike at Grimes Graves. It was easy to find, showed well, all round very ...