Sunday, October 29, 2006

Wouldlark?

I got to Portland at 9ish sorry 8ish. There was some overhead movement of Wood Pigeons, Meadow Pipits and Skylarks, with a Fieldfare shack-shacking, a few goldfinches and Pied Wagtails for variety. Enough to be noticeable but not record-breaking. A few goldcrests in Culverwell. plenty of Kestrels. Then something over unfamilar, larkish but not the loud fluting I have heard on Woodlark's home ground. Did I see a short tail as it drifted over?

On to west cliffs with a few stonechats for company, then a Peregrine flying around. A nice group of Shags on the cliffs, and a group of GBB gulls. Down to the bill and a few Kittiwakes, some BH gulls w and nothing else - not even a Gannet. Along the east cliffs there were plenty of Pied Wags, a "flock" of 4 Rock Pipits, a Seal (grey?), and a Northern Wheatear - possibly my latest. Up to the obs, and yes there was a Woodlark over at about the right time in about the right place. Sparv through, some discussion amongst the assembled about the ID of some dark ducks wizzing w, and then home.

I think some more homework on woodlark calls required ...

No comments:

Great Grey Shrike

Nine years ago when I gave up working I went to see a Great Grey Shrike at Grimes Graves. It was easy to find, showed well, all round very ...